Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jaegers

Jaegers (pronounced ya-ger) are oceanic (sea) birds that come inland to nest on the Arctic tundra.  They are very skilled fliers and when at sea, they harass gulls and terns, forcing them to give up their prey items.  On the tundra, they mostly prey on lemmings and nests of other birds (our artificial nests seem to be a tasty little treat for these guys).  When they are hunting they hover in the air effortlessly, which is quite the sight to see.  They are also very adept at doing this when defending their nests.

We have found both Parasitic Jaeger and Long-tailed Jaeger nests and they behave similarly but also have some differences.  The Parasitics will "dive-bomb."  I have also been dive-bombed by both Eastern and Western Kingbirds, and although Jaegers are larger birds, they are a bit less intimidating than the Kingbirds.  Since they are in the same family as skuas (Stercorariidae), their feet are webbed. It is impressive how fast one of these birds comes flying at you when you are close to their nest. When we found this nest they zoomed by so fast, I could feel and hear the air. But, they never make contact like a Kingbird might, and when they come at you with their feet like a hawk or falcon may do, you just chuckle when you see their cute little webbed toes. They also have a form of the "broken-wing" behavior where they land and flap their wings and hop up and down as if they are hurt to draw attention away from the nest.
Parasitic going after Erica.
Parasitic Jaeger nest
Attack!
Long-tailed Jaegers will also fly in close, but they just float masterfully above. I had a pair come within a foot of my face and just hover while "squawking" at me. I am in awe of these birds and I think they may be my favorite species (well, group since I like all of them) on the North Slope.
Long-tailed hovering by my head
Long-tailed Jaeger nest
Another good shot of  the Jaeger hovering above me
We found some other nests today.  Again, not for the study but just walking to and from our study sites.  I will share them later tonight or in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment